Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 Avoiding DRC Errors for SMT Parts under TH Part

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
bkamen Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 05:50:14
I'm making a footprint that's a TO sized part that actually doesn't sit on the board.

So parts can be populated in the area that would be defined by the footprint.

I do have a keepout for the TO-xxx part that specifies "components higher than" and then a number.. but I still get CM-CM errors.

and when I check against an R that specifically has its height set, I still get an error.

Sooooo.. how do I do this?

Thanks,

-Ben

-Ben
-------------------------------------------
ben@benkamen.net
http://www.benjammin.net
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
poorchava Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 21:16:49
Thanks. The body for the LCD was what I was missing. I guess it assumed that since body was not defined, it will use the documentation layer bounding box.
jameshead Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 08:36:03
Create an area that is just encompasing the actual pins for the LCD and define that as the body area.
Create an area just larger than that you've just created for body area for the pins and define that as your placement area - for the clearance you require around the pins.
Create a new area for the rest of the LCD, set up the component keep out if higher than for this area, and don't have it set as a body, nor a placement area.
poorchava Posted - 31 Jul 2019 : 08:25:11
I thought I'm gonna resurrect the thread, as I have similar problem.

I have an LCD module (standard 16x6 character LCD) which has a row of pins in top left corner, 4 mounting posts, but other than that there is ~10mm clearance underneath. I have defined area for the LCD as "keepout" and "higher than 6mm". It seems to work as long, as smd parts underneath don't have any area defined. I have defined an area with body clearance checked and body height set at 2mm, but I still get errors.

How do I define areas for those two parts correctly to get rid of the errors?
bkamen Posted - 22 Dec 2016 : 16:10:54
quote:
Originally posted by steve

If they are mounted to the board into through holes then something is board mounted. I advise looking to add placement and body areas and possibly an extra area to define the space underneath.

We can advise more if supplied data to Support.

Sounds good.. I'll send you guys the PCB file to look at as an example.

Not that I don't have ideas -- I'm just wondering what's "the best way" -- or maybe I'm not doing something I should. :P

-Ben

-Ben
ben@benkamen.net
steve Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 16:13:02
If they are mounted to the board into through holes then something is board mounted. I advise looking to add placement and body areas and possibly an extra area to define the space underneath.

We can advise more if supplied data to Support.

Pulsonix Assistance
bkamen Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 15:48:26
No they don't because they're "off the board"

I suppose I could put a courtyard immediately around the thru-holes that mount the part.

but that's just the question: The part hovers off the board by 3/16"... so technically there's no need for a placement clearance. And while the body exists, it's not contacting the PCB.

-Ben
ben@benkamen.net
steve Posted - 21 Dec 2016 : 09:46:15
Do the footprints have both placement and body areas?

Please supply Support with an example.

Pulsonix Assistance