Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 Copper polygon not connecting to net?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poorchava Posted - 14 Nov 2020 : 22:36:42
I want to use copper polygon to route some stuff in a DC/DC converter. I specifically don't want template pour as I need 100% control over the shape.

So I click the 'Insert Copper Polygon' command, then hit F2 to add it to a net, select for example 'GND'. But this is where it gets weird. I still can't draw over SMD pads because of spacing rules and then I find out that the polygon is NOT in the net I have selected. Similarly, if I have a component pad selected, and click 'Insert Copper Polygon'I get asked if the new copper polygon should be connected to the selected net, and i select 'Yes', still the same effect happens - the polygon I'm creating does not get connected to the selected net.

When I place the first point, i can hit F2, change the net and it works.

The problem seems to be that when selecting the net, or using the net from a pad, the net get reset when the first point is placed.

This is counter productive and quite annoying, not to mention that 'Adding Copper on net "$349" taken from the selected item, do you want to use this net?' feature simnply does not work.

Is is a bug, or do I have to set it up somewhere?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
psxforum Posted - 18 Nov 2020 : 10:57:17
That is understandable, they are all copper shapes, the command used to add them is really only different to help you create those other 'shapes'.

David.
poorchava Posted - 18 Nov 2020 : 06:42:35
update: also does not work for other copper pour shapes (square, circle etc)
lewism@pulsonix.com Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 09:03:25
Hi Poorchava,

Logged as a bug on our system to be investigated as soon as possible and implemented into the next patch.

Thank you.

Lewis
poorchava Posted - 17 Nov 2020 : 05:00:46
I have checked and I can confirm the above, works for template pour, does not work for polygon pour.
feynman Posted - 16 Nov 2020 : 20:43:15
I can confirm that F2'ing after clicking "Insert Copper Polygon" doesn't actually add the then drawn polygon to the desired net. However, same procedure works with templates. So seems like a bug to me.
Same thing for the "Select net from selected item" feature (works for templates, but not for copper shapes).
poorchava Posted - 16 Nov 2020 : 20:04:19
I will, but I have to clear it with the customer first. I'm not sure this will help much though, since it doesn't seem to be particular to this design. I have tried it on another design and on a plain PCB and this still happens all the same.

I think this may more likely be some of my settings or technology file. Technology file is obvious, but is there a way I can send over my customization settings and the current state of different options I have turned on and off?
lewism@pulsonix.com Posted - 16 Nov 2020 : 16:23:27
Hi Poorchava,

Would you be able to send the design to support@pulsonix.com please so that we can investigate further?

Lewis