Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 General
 Soldermask bridge width DRC

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
poorchava Posted - 02 Dec 2020 : 09:28:43
Is there a way to restrict minimum solder mask bridge width and/or verify that during DRC?

Too thin soldermask bridges can sometimes fall off and end up under a component lead, which often causes poor reflow or bad joint on that pin.

1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jameshead Posted - 02 Dec 2020 : 16:46:25
This something that a competant PCB Fabricator should already check for during their DRC checks within the CAM software they use for tooling the imported customer supplied data.

Having said that, the designer can help out by adjusting the soldermask where necessary on likely problem areas such as fine pitch QFPs.

Use the "By Layer" feature to adjust the size of the soldermask for the inner pins to remove the web between the pins and using a different sytle for these inner pins so they overlap each other; thereby ending up with a "block".

The alternative method is to simply draw a rectangle over the pads on the solder mask layer of course but the method I descibe ends up with single rectangular apertures that can be adjusted more easily by the fabricator.

I have uploaded an example footprint showing this.

Download Attachment: QFN49P50_700X700X100L40X25T536N_FTDI.zip
84.85 KB