Where PCB designs contain chip-on-board (COB) or flip-chip technologies, this feature enables the design and usage of die and bond pads and bond wires.
In almost every aspect of normal daily life the need for smaller, lighter electronics has become a mandatory driving force in their design. With the Pulsonix Chip Packaging Toolkit, designing with this emerging technology is enabled with a powerful toolset not normally found in mainstream PCB design systems.
The Toolkit provides options for creation and annotation of die & bond pads and bond wires, and for automatically placing bond pads around a defined shape.
Advanced Rule Sets
To support this advanced technology, Pulsonix contains a set of rules that are obeyed using both the Online DRC and batch design rules checking process options. Rules can be set for min and max length of the bond pad from the die pad, and for the crossing over of insulated and non-insulated wires.
The Footprint editor allows fast and simple creation of the advanced technologies. Options for the insertion of die and bond pads into the footprint ensure that the correct pad type is used, adding the bond wire at the same time. Tools for uniform pattern placement are also included.
Where bond pads must be in-line with the wire, this alignment can be maintained automatically even when the bond pad is rotated or moved in the footprint. Bond pads in-line with the wire ensures that the wire is 'fired' onto the maximum available 'landing site'.
Components which contain die and bond pads are handled intelligently using an advanced rule set. Bond pads can be interactively moved independently of the main footprint 'body', and this movement is controlled using the additional design rules.
Pulsonix provides a set of detailed reports that can be used to output wire positions (X and Y position of each pad landing site and net name). The powerful Report Maker option also allows all Chip Packaging items to be output, so custom reports can be created.
Summary of Key Features
- Insert Bond and Die pads
- Insert Wire between die and bond pads
- Place bond pads around shape
- Finger pad shapes supported with automatic angle offsetting on radial shapes
- Ability to move independently floating bond pads of footprints in design editor
- Library includes a selection of bare die footprints
- Support for insulated or non-insulated (bond) wires
- Report Maker can output bond pad and die pad positions
- Report Maker can create a report for manual and automatic wire machines
- On-line and batch design rules checking of:
- Wires crossing (allowed for insulated wires, not allowed for non-insulated wires)
- Min/max bond wire lengths
- Item colours for bond pads and wires
- Wires inserted on special layer
- Layer Class definitions for bond pad only plots