Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 Libraries
 Part editor: combine "Pins" and "Gates" tabs?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON

Upload a file

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
cioma Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 16:01:43
I have a usability improvement suggestion that I'd like to discuss: what about combining columns from "Pins" and "Gates" tabs of the Part editor in one tab? That would make filling in symbol and footprint pin data easier and less error-prone.

What do other users and Pulsonix developers think about that?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steve Posted - 06 Jul 2016 : 15:59:25
There is more detail on what can be achieved in Help - Parts Editor - Gates. There is also an import process for Pin Data only in the Part Editor, see Help - Import Pin Data in to the Part Editor.

Pulsonix Assistance
cioma Posted - 06 Jul 2016 : 15:25:54
Thanks, James. Indeed these usecases show that it's more convenient to have footprint and symbol pin tabs separate.

Anyway I managed to semi-automate all Pulsonix pin mapping data generation in a Google spreadsheet so now I can simply copy-paste data from the spreadsheet into the Parts editor.
jameshead Posted - 06 Jul 2016 : 14:39:08
the current arrangement is very useful. Another example to the one Steve mentions is for diodes.

If you have a SOD diode such as BAT60A and your footprint has the cathode at pin 1 and the anode at pin 2, then using the Pins tab you can enter "K" for the Pin Name for Footprint pin 1, and "A" for the Pin Name for Footprint pin 2.

Then if your diode symbol uses symbol pin 1 for the cathode and pin 2 for the anode then you map Symbol Pin 1 to Pin Name K, and Symbol Pin 2 to Pin Name A.

Next if you have a diode in a SOT-23 three-pin package such as BAS16, you can use the Pins tab to use "A" as Pin Name for Footprint Pin 1, set Footprint Pin 2 to be No Connect, and then use "K" for the Pin Name of Footprint Pin 3.

Then in the Gates tab you have Symbol Pin 1 as Pin Name K, and Symbol Pin 2 as Pin name A. You can now change parts very easily in your circuit diagram for diodes, zener diodes, schottky diodes, however the number of pins they have, without having to do addition editing if pin numbers are different.

You can do exactly the same thing with FETS using pin names S, G, D, and BJT transistors using pin names C B E.
steve Posted - 01 Jul 2016 : 14:11:49
An example of an option that the current form caters simply for is multiple pads being represented by one pin (Gate-a pin-1 represents pads 4,5,6). Currently each pin can be fully defined and each pad can be fully defined clearly and be mapped in various ways through the Pin Name. There are no plans to revisit this area.

Pulsonix Assistance
cioma Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 16:45:24
Could you please elaborate on that, perhaps with an example part?

If I understand Pulsonix part organization correctly, symbol pin numbers and footprint pin numbers are totally independent entities and get linked to each other through pin name. So having columns from both tabs combined on the same tab doesn't actually change any logic of pinmapping, it's just a user interface change, right?
steve Posted - 30 Jun 2016 : 16:19:49
The two are separate for good reasons and combining them would degrade options. In their current form it allows for the same symbol to be used on two different devices even if on those devices pads 1 and 2 are swapped.

Pulsonix Assistance