Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 Copper polygons
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris

Netherlands
40 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  09:51:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to add 250 copper polygons with a 4 different shapes to 250 different nets in a pcb design. I want to draw the 4 different shapes once and then copy them to the right positions in the design.
After i have placed the polygons on the 250 different traces or pads i have to connect the polygons with [Add to net-> drop down ....] to the right net. Doing that 250 times is a lot of work.

Is there a way Pulsonix automaticly connects a net to a polygon when placing it on a pad or trace that has already a net name ?

psxforum

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  10:11:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris,

there is no 'automatic' way of hooking these up, but I think you will find that Insert Connection is quicker than doing Add To Net and trawling through the nets in the drop-down list.

Choose Insert Connection from the Insert menu or the toolbar. Start the connection on the track, then click on each item of copper that wants to belong to the same net as that track. You don't have to be that accurate about where the end-points of the connections go, only making sure that you do connect the right items together.

When all the copper items on that first net are connected, press Escape once to cancel the current connection, and move on to the next track/copper set.

At the end, use Optimise Nets to tidy up, this should recognise all the copper items are sat over their respective tracks/pads and the redundant connections will be tidied out. You could even use the 'own colour' for Nets just to check that no copper is left with no net assigned.

This is still going to be rather a long process, but doing it that way should be quicker than using the Add To Net dialog!

David.
Go to Top of Page

jameshead

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2016 :  08:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris

I have to add 250 copper polygons with a 4 different shapes to 250 different nets in a pcb design. I want to draw the 4 different shapes once and then copy them to the right positions in the design.

If I had to do something similar to this task then I'd create either a single one-pin part with four different footprints, or four separate one-pin parts, one for each footprint.

Depending upon the size and complexity of the polygon needed, I would either put a pad down and use define pad shape to edit the pad shape to match the required polygon, or put a simple pad down, then add a copper polygon around it - then select the pad in the footprint and Right-Mouse-Button and use Add To Net, select net 1, then select the copper polygon and again, Right-Mouse-Button and Add To Net, then select net 1.

Add the parts to the circuit diagram as needed and re-sync to the PCB.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: