Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Information
 Welcome!
 Multiple STEP files, one footprint....
Author  Topic Next Topic  

tlhawkin321

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  20:43:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a number of different components that use the same footprint, but they are physically different parts. They each have a unique STEP file associated with them. Does Pulsonix allow for a single footprint, but with different STEP files? I'm guessing not, I think there is a 1:1 relationship. In that case I need to create as many instances of the footprint (uniquely named) as I have STEP files to associate them correct? That is not ideal since for "n" number of step files I have to create "n" uniquely named footprints, which are all identical. If at some point in the future the footprint needs to change in some way (if a mistake was made?). I now have to go in and change all "n" footprints identically. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

jameshead

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  23:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can add STEP files to either the footprint or the part, and you can do both in the same library/technology.

It's easier to add a STEP file to the footprint as you get to adjust the rotation and offset easily, however you can always do this in the footprint, note the results, and use them in the part.

It's very useful to sometimes add the STEP file to the part rather than the footprint as you may have separate parts for different colours of LED with one footprint, but you have separate STEP files that show the colour of the LED. Useful when doing a mechanical check if you want to make sure your LEDs are in the correct order to be viewed through a case.

Connectors are another example where you may have a number of parts using a single footprint for different heights of pin header and you have separate STEP files for these.
Go to Top of Page

tlhawkin321

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2017 :  23:44:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jameshead

You can add STEP files to either the footprint or the part, and you can do both in the same library/technology.

Thanks. That was what I was hoping. So I think I'm pretty familiar with how to do the mapping in the footprint. I wasn't aware that you could do a mapping to a STEP file in the part itself. Is that done by assigning STEP attributes to the part? I can see the following attributes that might do the trick...<STEP Filename>, <STEP Offsets>, <STEP Rotation>. Is that where you make the part STEP file mapping? In that case you do not need any STEP files associated with the footprint correct?

I wonder if you have one STEP file assigned in the footprint and another in the part, which one wins...
Go to Top of Page

jameshead

United Kingdom
125 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2017 :  00:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it's the same attributes you've mentioned that you use for the footprint, used in the part as well. You can also add them using the Edit Attributes button on the Library dialogue for both parts and for footprints.

You can add the attribute information to both footprint and part. The value of any attributes used in a part will overwrite values of the same attributes if used in the footprint.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: