Pulsonix User Forum

Technical advice from Pulsonix engineers and the wider community.

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Help with using Pulsonix
 PCB Design
 Copper polygon not connecting to net?
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

poorchava

Poland
45 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2020 :  22:36:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to use copper polygon to route some stuff in a DC/DC converter. I specifically don't want template pour as I need 100% control over the shape.

So I click the 'Insert Copper Polygon' command, then hit F2 to add it to a net, select for example 'GND'. But this is where it gets weird. I still can't draw over SMD pads because of spacing rules and then I find out that the polygon is NOT in the net I have selected. Similarly, if I have a component pad selected, and click 'Insert Copper Polygon'I get asked if the new copper polygon should be connected to the selected net, and i select 'Yes', still the same effect happens - the polygon I'm creating does not get connected to the selected net.

When I place the first point, i can hit F2, change the net and it works.

The problem seems to be that when selecting the net, or using the net from a pad, the net get reset when the first point is placed.

This is counter productive and quite annoying, not to mention that 'Adding Copper on net "$349" taken from the selected item, do you want to use this net?' feature simnply does not work.

Is is a bug, or do I have to set it up somewhere?

lewism@pulsonix.com

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  16:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Poorchava,

Would you be able to send the design to support@pulsonix.com please so that we can investigate further?

Lewis
Go to Top of Page

poorchava

Poland
45 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  20:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will, but I have to clear it with the customer first. I'm not sure this will help much though, since it doesn't seem to be particular to this design. I have tried it on another design and on a plain PCB and this still happens all the same.

I think this may more likely be some of my settings or technology file. Technology file is obvious, but is there a way I can send over my customization settings and the current state of different options I have turned on and off?
Go to Top of Page

feynman

Switzerland
26 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2020 :  20:43:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can confirm that F2'ing after clicking "Insert Copper Polygon" doesn't actually add the then drawn polygon to the desired net. However, same procedure works with templates. So seems like a bug to me.
Same thing for the "Select net from selected item" feature (works for templates, but not for copper shapes).
Go to Top of Page

poorchava

Poland
45 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2020 :  05:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have checked and I can confirm the above, works for template pour, does not work for polygon pour.
Go to Top of Page

lewism@pulsonix.com

United Kingdom
62 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2020 :  09:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Poorchava,

Logged as a bug on our system to be investigated as soon as possible and implemented into the next patch.

Thank you.

Lewis
Go to Top of Page

poorchava

Poland
45 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  06:42:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
update: also does not work for other copper pour shapes (square, circle etc)
Go to Top of Page

psxforum

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2020 :  10:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is understandable, they are all copper shapes, the command used to add them is really only different to help you create those other 'shapes'.

David.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To: